Phelps wins 17th gold medal
Swimmers like Michael Phelps reportedly dive into massive egg-and-pancake breakfasts to make sure they have enough calories to fuel their record-setting Olympic performances.
Jamie Squire/Getty Images
The most decorated Olympian ever added another medal to his collection in his last race in London, the 100-meter butterfly. The win brings Phelps to a grand total of 17 gold medals, and 21 career medals overall.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
Subscribe to the Week