Phelps wins 17th gold medal
Swimmers like Michael Phelps reportedly dive into massive egg-and-pancake breakfasts to make sure they have enough calories to fuel their record-setting Olympic performances.
Jamie Squire/Getty Images
The most decorated Olympian ever added another medal to his collection in his last race in London, the 100-meter butterfly. The win brings Phelps to a grand total of 17 gold medals, and 21 career medals overall.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- 10 things you need to know today: November 21, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week