itt Romney lashed out at Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D, Nev.) on Friday, after Reid claimed that an unidentified investor in Bain Capital, Romney's former company, informed him that Romney did not pay taxes over a 10-year period. Romney challenged Reid to prove his claim, telling him to "put up or shut up," and asserted that he pays "a lot of taxes" every year. Unfazed, Reid went to the floor of the Senate to call on Romney to release more than two years of tax returns, which Romney has refused to do. "The word's out that he hasn't paid any taxes for 10 years," Reid said. "Let him prove he has paid taxes." Reid has been criticized by liberals and conservatives alike for failing to back his claims with any concrete evidence.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- What The Americans gets wrong about Russian spies
Subscribe to the Week