In the season of state and county fairs, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a reminder warning for fairgoers to be careful around pigs because of a new flu spreading from the animals to people. Ten of the 12 cases of swine flu confirmed this week were linked to the Butler County Fair in southwest Ohio, which ended last weekend. Officials say 29 human cases of the new strain of swine flu have been confirmed in the U.S. in the last year, most of them children.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- Paul Ryan's anti-poverty plan is another sign of life in the GOP
Subscribe to the Week