In the season of state and county fairs, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a reminder warning for fairgoers to be careful around pigs because of a new flu spreading from the animals to people. Ten of the 12 cases of swine flu confirmed this week were linked to the Butler County Fair in southwest Ohio, which ended last weekend. Officials say 29 human cases of the new strain of swine flu have been confirmed in the U.S. in the last year, most of them children.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The real story behind The Conjuring and four other horror movies 'based on a true story'
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week