America's Gabby Douglas, who took the gold in the women's gymnastics all-round competition at the London Games, failed to even get on the podium in the individual finals on the uneven bars. Though uneven bars is arguably the Flying Squirrel's signature event, she botched one pass and stepped out on her landing, earning 14.9, her lowest score on the apparatus at these Olympics and finishing eighth, well out of medal contention. Russia's Aliya Mustafina grabbed the gold with a score of 16.1.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- California's epic drought
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week