America's Gabby Douglas, who took the gold in the women's gymnastics all-round competition at the London Games, failed to even get on the podium in the individual finals on the uneven bars. Though uneven bars is arguably the Flying Squirrel's signature event, she botched one pass and stepped out on her landing, earning 14.9, her lowest score on the apparatus at these Olympics and finishing eighth, well out of medal contention. Russia's Aliya Mustafina grabbed the gold with a score of 16.1.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week