America's Gabby Douglas, who took the gold in the women's gymnastics all-round competition at the London Games, failed to even get on the podium in the individual finals on the uneven bars. Though uneven bars is arguably the Flying Squirrel's signature event, she botched one pass and stepped out on her landing, earning 14.9, her lowest score on the apparatus at these Olympics and finishing eighth, well out of medal contention. Russia's Aliya Mustafina grabbed the gold with a score of 16.1.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Deficit scolds are the most crazed ideologues in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The disturbing lessons of Arizona's un-American execution
Subscribe to the Week