merica's Gabby Douglas, who took the gold in the women's gymnastics all-round competition at the London Games, failed to even get on the podium in the individual finals on the uneven bars. Though uneven bars is arguably the Flying Squirrel's signature event, she botched one pass and stepped out on her landing, earning 14.9, her lowest score on the apparatus at these Olympics and finishing eighth, well out of medal contention. Russia's Aliya Mustafina grabbed the gold with a score of 16.1.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
Subscribe to the Week