America's Gabby Douglas, who took the gold in the women's gymnastics all-round competition at the London Games, failed to even get on the podium in the individual finals on the uneven bars. Though uneven bars is arguably the Flying Squirrel's signature event, she botched one pass and stepped out on her landing, earning 14.9, her lowest score on the apparatus at these Olympics and finishing eighth, well out of medal contention. Russia's Aliya Mustafina grabbed the gold with a score of 16.1.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- How to flirt, according to science
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
Subscribe to the Week