OOD DAY FOR:
Sticking the landing
After years of speculation, anxiety, and planning, NASA's Curiosity rover successfully lands on Mars. [New York]
Your bearded brethren
Researchers find that facial hair provides an effective barrier to the sun's U.V. rays. [The Frisky]
A robot enthusiast creates a life-sized, fully-functioning version of Pixar's adorable, lonely Wall-E. [TIME]
BAD DAY FOR:
Insisting that "the flag was still there"
The American flag blows off its mount as "The Star Spangled Banner" plays during Serena Williams' medal ceremony. [Gawker]
Appreciating the local wildlife
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is chased out of Malawi by a swarm of bees. [BuzzFeed]
An allegedly drunken spectator at the 100-meter men's final in London gets a chop from a judo medalist after he throws a water bottle onto the track. [Discovery News]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: August 3, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week