GOOD DAY FOR:
Sticking the landing
After years of speculation, anxiety, and planning, NASA's Curiosity rover successfully lands on Mars. [New York]
Your bearded brethren
Researchers find that facial hair provides an effective barrier to the sun's U.V. rays. [The Frisky]
A robot enthusiast creates a life-sized, fully-functioning version of Pixar's adorable, lonely Wall-E. [TIME]
BAD DAY FOR:
Insisting that "the flag was still there"
The American flag blows off its mount as "The Star Spangled Banner" plays during Serena Williams' medal ceremony. [Gawker]
Appreciating the local wildlife
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is chased out of Malawi by a swarm of bees. [BuzzFeed]
An allegedly drunken spectator at the 100-meter men's final in London gets a chop from a judo medalist after he throws a water bottle onto the track. [Discovery News]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: August 3, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- Keira Knightley on Laggies, relationships, and surviving your 20s
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 24, 2014
Subscribe to the Week