GOOD DAY FOR:
Sticking the landing
After years of speculation, anxiety, and planning, NASA's Curiosity rover successfully lands on Mars. [New York]
Your bearded brethren
Researchers find that facial hair provides an effective barrier to the sun's U.V. rays. [The Frisky]
A robot enthusiast creates a life-sized, fully-functioning version of Pixar's adorable, lonely Wall-E. [TIME]
BAD DAY FOR:
Insisting that "the flag was still there"
The American flag blows off its mount as "The Star Spangled Banner" plays during Serena Williams' medal ceremony. [Gawker]
Appreciating the local wildlife
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is chased out of Malawi by a swarm of bees. [BuzzFeed]
An allegedly drunken spectator at the 100-meter men's final in London gets a chop from a judo medalist after he throws a water bottle onto the track. [Discovery News]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: August 3, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The real story behind The Conjuring and four other horror movies 'based on a true story'
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
Subscribe to the Week