OOD DAY FOR:
Sticking the landing
After years of speculation, anxiety, and planning, NASA's Curiosity rover successfully lands on Mars. [New York]
Your bearded brethren
Researchers find that facial hair provides an effective barrier to the sun's U.V. rays. [The Frisky]
A robot enthusiast creates a life-sized, fully-functioning version of Pixar's adorable, lonely Wall-E. [TIME]
BAD DAY FOR:
Insisting that "the flag was still there"
The American flag blows off its mount as "The Star Spangled Banner" plays during Serena Williams' medal ceremony. [Gawker]
Appreciating the local wildlife
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is chased out of Malawi by a swarm of bees. [BuzzFeed]
An allegedly drunken spectator at the 100-meter men's final in London gets a chop from a judo medalist after he throws a water bottle onto the track. [Discovery News]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: August 3, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- The contentious policy at the heart of Cliven Bundy's armed standoff with the government
- How to flirt, according to science
- The Warren Buffett formula: How you can get smarter
- This Japanese toilet should make Americans very worried
Subscribe to the Week