Proponents of same-sex marriage are planning to swarm Starbucks locations on Tuesday to counter Chick-fil-A's record sales last week. Last Wednesday, the fast-food chain enjoyed a surge of support from the likes of former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and Sarah and Todd Palin during what was dubbed Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day, after the company's president Dan Cathy went on record backing the "biblical definition of the family unit." So far, nearly 28,000 people have signed up to attend the Starbucks event, which was organized by Equally Wed, a gay and lesbian wedding magazine. The coffee purveyor, which is headquartered in Washington, early this year threw its support behind the state's push to legalize same-sex marriage. The law will be voted on in a November referendum.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- This is how the U.S. thinks China could invade Taiwan
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Confessions of a hotel insider
- Stop freaking out over the West's jihadi tourists
Subscribe to the Week