roponents of same-sex marriage are planning to swarm Starbucks locations on Tuesday to counter Chick-fil-A's record sales last week. Last Wednesday, the fast-food chain enjoyed a surge of support from the likes of former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and Sarah and Todd Palin during what was dubbed Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day, after the company's president Dan Cathy went on record backing the "biblical definition of the family unit." So far, nearly 28,000 people have signed up to attend the Starbucks event, which was organized by Equally Wed, a gay and lesbian wedding magazine. The coffee purveyor, which is headquartered in Washington, early this year threw its support behind the state's push to legalize same-sex marriage. The law will be voted on in a November referendum.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- How Community's Dean Pelton broke new ground for sexual politics on television
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week