roponents of same-sex marriage are planning to swarm Starbucks locations on Tuesday to counter Chick-fil-A's record sales last week. Last Wednesday, the fast-food chain enjoyed a surge of support from the likes of former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and Sarah and Todd Palin during what was dubbed Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day, after the company's president Dan Cathy went on record backing the "biblical definition of the family unit." So far, nearly 28,000 people have signed up to attend the Starbucks event, which was organized by Equally Wed, a gay and lesbian wedding magazine. The coffee purveyor, which is headquartered in Washington, early this year threw its support behind the state's push to legalize same-sex marriage. The law will be voted on in a November referendum.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
Subscribe to the Week