Syria's new acting Prime Minister Omar Ghalawanji met his cabinet on Monday after Prime Minister Riad Hijab defected to Jordan. According to the Syrian Arab News agency, at the meeting Information Minister Omran al-Zoubi indirectly confirmed Hijab's departure, "saying that anyone who fled the country and illegitimately abandoned a government post showed a lack of political and national awareness." Hijab's defection marked the highest-ranking defection since the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad began last year.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How Wall Street is chipping away at reform
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
- How I lost all my money
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
Subscribe to the Week