Syria's new acting Prime Minister Omar Ghalawanji met his cabinet on Monday after Prime Minister Riad Hijab defected to Jordan. According to the Syrian Arab News agency, at the meeting Information Minister Omran al-Zoubi indirectly confirmed Hijab's departure, "saying that anyone who fled the country and illegitimately abandoned a government post showed a lack of political and national awareness." Hijab's defection marked the highest-ranking defection since the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad began last year.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- 10 things you need to know today: November 23, 2014
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why insects are the future of food
- The myth of the stay-at-home dad
Subscribe to the Week