Syria's new acting Prime Minister Omar Ghalawanji met his cabinet on Monday after Prime Minister Riad Hijab defected to Jordan. According to the Syrian Arab News agency, at the meeting Information Minister Omran al-Zoubi indirectly confirmed Hijab's departure, "saying that anyone who fled the country and illegitimately abandoned a government post showed a lack of political and national awareness." Hijab's defection marked the highest-ranking defection since the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad began last year.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
Subscribe to the Week