yria's new acting Prime Minister Omar Ghalawanji met his cabinet on Monday after Prime Minister Riad Hijab defected to Jordan. According to the Syrian Arab News agency, at the meeting Information Minister Omran al-Zoubi indirectly confirmed Hijab's departure, "saying that anyone who fled the country and illegitimately abandoned a government post showed a lack of political and national awareness." Hijab's defection marked the highest-ranking defection since the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad began last year.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Why Mindy Kaling — not Lena Dunham — is the body positive icon of the moment
- 10 things you need to know today: April 23, 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
Subscribe to the Week