Syria's new acting Prime Minister Omar Ghalawanji met his cabinet on Monday after Prime Minister Riad Hijab defected to Jordan. According to the Syrian Arab News agency, at the meeting Information Minister Omran al-Zoubi indirectly confirmed Hijab's departure, "saying that anyone who fled the country and illegitimately abandoned a government post showed a lack of political and national awareness." Hijab's defection marked the highest-ranking defection since the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad began last year.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The girl who wouldn't die
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- California's epic drought
Subscribe to the Week