esidents of Richmond, Calif., were ordered to stay in their homes Monday night after a series of explosions and fires erupted at a Chevron refinery in the area. There were no fatalaties but one employee did suffer burns. Health officials' main concern was fumes from crude oil and diesel fuel. The Chevron Richmond refinery is Northern California's largest, capable of processing more than 242,000 barrels of oil each day.
- The indignity of canine bath time
- Watch The Daily Show definitively prove that corporations are not people
- Is it possible to live forever?
- Why income inequality has become the Democratic Party's top issue
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: A tribute in photos and prose
- How to make the perfect hot chocolate
- No, Obama doesn't have to fire everybody in the White House
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- Nelson Mandela dead at 95
Subscribe to the Week