U.S. gymnast Aly Raisman, 18, narrowly clinched a bronze medal after a protest and a tiebreaker. Team USA successfully contested Raisman's score on the beam, leading the judges to raise her total from 14.966 to 15.066 and putting her into a tie for third place with Romania's Catalina Ponor. The tie was broken by Raisman's higher execution score. This is her first individual Olympic medal.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- The conservative battle against ObamaCare won't end with Halbig
- Girls on Film: Why audiences are responsible for the future of cinema
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- This week I learned the moon might be littered with dinosaur fossils, and more
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- Why scientists can't kill HIV
Subscribe to the Week