U.S. gymnast Aly Raisman, 18, narrowly clinched a bronze medal after a protest and a tiebreaker. Team USA successfully contested Raisman's score on the beam, leading the judges to raise her total from 14.966 to 15.066 and putting her into a tie for third place with Romania's Catalina Ponor. The tie was broken by Raisman's higher execution score. This is her first individual Olympic medal.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- The real-life events that inspired Game of Thrones' Red Wedding
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
Subscribe to the Week