The U.S. women's soccer team beat Canada, 4-3, with a last-minute goal in overtime by first-time Olympian Alex Morgan, sending Team USA into the gold medal round against Japan — a rematch of the women's World Cup final in 2011, which Japan won on penalty kicks. Morgan, 23, scored the game-winning goal off her head in the 123rd minute. "She's still a genetic freak, in my opinion," says teammate Abby Wambach. "She makes plays that you don't expect anybody to make."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- These 5 things will definitely happen after Obama moves on immigration
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- Girls on Film: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay isn't an action movie. It's a war movie.
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
Subscribe to the Week