The U.S. women's soccer team beat Canada, 4-3, with a last-minute goal in overtime by first-time Olympian Alex Morgan, sending Team USA into the gold medal round against Japan — a rematch of the women's World Cup final in 2011, which Japan won on penalty kicks. Morgan, 23, scored the game-winning goal off her head in the 123rd minute. "She's still a genetic freak, in my opinion," says teammate Abby Wambach. "She makes plays that you don't expect anybody to make."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week