The U.S. women's soccer team beat Canada, 4-3, with a last-minute goal in overtime by first-time Olympian Alex Morgan, sending Team USA into the gold medal round against Japan — a rematch of the women's World Cup final in 2011, which Japan won on penalty kicks. Morgan, 23, scored the game-winning goal off her head in the 123rd minute. "She's still a genetic freak, in my opinion," says teammate Abby Wambach. "She makes plays that you don't expect anybody to make."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- 10 things you need to know today: August 1, 2014
- How to make classic pulled pork
- Sharknado isn't just stupid. It's bad for cinema.
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
Subscribe to the Week