he U.S. women's soccer team beat Canada, 4-3, with a last-minute goal in overtime by first-time Olympian Alex Morgan, sending Team USA into the gold medal round against Japan — a rematch of the women's World Cup final in 2011, which Japan won on penalty kicks. Morgan, 23, scored the game-winning goal off her head in the 123rd minute. "She's still a genetic freak, in my opinion," says teammate Abby Wambach. "She makes plays that you don't expect anybody to make."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- The Warren Buffett formula: How you can get smarter
- How to flirt, according to science
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- How any actor (even a really nice one) can play a truly evil villain like King Joffrey
Subscribe to the Week