The U.S. women's soccer team beat Canada, 4-3, with a last-minute goal in overtime by first-time Olympian Alex Morgan, sending Team USA into the gold medal round against Japan — a rematch of the women's World Cup final in 2011, which Japan won on penalty kicks. Morgan, 23, scored the game-winning goal off her head in the 123rd minute. "She's still a genetic freak, in my opinion," says teammate Abby Wambach. "She makes plays that you don't expect anybody to make."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
Subscribe to the Week