he U.S. women's soccer team beat Canada, 4-3, with a last-minute goal in overtime by first-time Olympian Alex Morgan, sending Team USA into the gold medal round against Japan — a rematch of the women's World Cup final in 2011, which Japan won on penalty kicks. Morgan, 23, scored the game-winning goal off her head in the 123rd minute. "She's still a genetic freak, in my opinion," says teammate Abby Wambach. "She makes plays that you don't expect anybody to make."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- The odds are 11 million to 1 that you'll die in a plane crash
Subscribe to the Week