The U.S. women's soccer team beat Canada, 4-3, with a last-minute goal in overtime by first-time Olympian Alex Morgan, sending Team USA into the gold medal round against Japan — a rematch of the women's World Cup final in 2011, which Japan won on penalty kicks. Morgan, 23, scored the game-winning goal off her head in the 123rd minute. "She's still a genetic freak, in my opinion," says teammate Abby Wambach. "She makes plays that you don't expect anybody to make."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 10 things you need to know today: September 30, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Are hedge funds doomed?
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Obama's politically lethal credibility problem
Subscribe to the Week