he U.S. women's soccer team beat Canada, 4-3, with a last-minute goal in overtime by first-time Olympian Alex Morgan, sending Team USA into the gold medal round against Japan — a rematch of the women's World Cup final in 2011, which Japan won on penalty kicks. Morgan, 23, scored the game-winning goal off her head in the 123rd minute. "She's still a genetic freak, in my opinion," says teammate Abby Wambach. "She makes plays that you don't expect anybody to make."
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- The secrets of happy families
- Americans are wealthier than ever*
- Is the rent really too damn high?
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- Antarctica recently experienced the coldest day in recorded history
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The science of making a guitar sound like a human voice
- President Obama snapped a selfie during Nelson Mandela's memorial service
- Why you shouldn't expect a Tea Party primary wave in 2014
Subscribe to the Week