merican boxer Claressa Shields, 17, defeated Kazakh Marina Volnova 29-15 in her semifinal to advance to the gold-medal match. If she is victorious, Shields will make history as the first U.S. woman ever to win gold in Olympic boxing. Shields' teammate, Marlen Esparza, has already taken the bronze.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Can Rand Paul avoid the Neville Chamberlain trap?
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- To build the Death Star, we'll need this space elevator
- How I Met Your Mother's Cristin Milioti thinks your conspiracy theories are 'insane'
Subscribe to the Week