American boxer Claressa Shields, 17, defeated Kazakh Marina Volnova 29-15 in her semifinal to advance to the gold-medal match. If she is victorious, Shields will make history as the first U.S. woman ever to win gold in Olympic boxing. Shields' teammate, Marlen Esparza, has already taken the bronze.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: September 19, 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- The Tea Party has its own immigration problem: Cuba
Subscribe to the Week