American boxer Claressa Shields, 17, defeated Kazakh Marina Volnova 29-15 in her semifinal to advance to the gold-medal match. If she is victorious, Shields will make history as the first U.S. woman ever to win gold in Olympic boxing. Shields' teammate, Marlen Esparza, has already taken the bronze.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- The week's best photojournalism
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
Subscribe to the Week