American boxer Claressa Shields, 17, defeated Kazakh Marina Volnova 29-15 in her semifinal to advance to the gold-medal match. If she is victorious, Shields will make history as the first U.S. woman ever to win gold in Olympic boxing. Shields' teammate, Marlen Esparza, has already taken the bronze.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The next pandemic
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
Subscribe to the Week