American boxer Claressa Shields, 17, defeated Kazakh Marina Volnova 29-15 in her semifinal to advance to the gold-medal match. If she is victorious, Shields will make history as the first U.S. woman ever to win gold in Olympic boxing. Shields' teammate, Marlen Esparza, has already taken the bronze.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Four annoying sounds you need to stop making
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 10 things you need to know today: August 23, 2014
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- How collaborative innovation led to the experimental serum for Ebola
- Half-baked genetic research is fueling the latest round of mom bashing
Subscribe to the Week