A Miami TV station has obtained a tape of a July police interview in which Ronald Poppo, the homeless victim of a bizarre attack that gripped the nation, sums up how he was mauled by Rudy Eugene. "He just ripped me to ribbons," Poppo, a homeless man, matter-of-factly told detectives. "He chewed up my face. He plucked out my eyes. Basically that's all there is to say about it." Poppo also thanked Miami police, saying he would probably have died if an officer hadn't arrived and shot Eugene dead.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week