Gu Kailai, the wife of former Chinese Politburo member Bo Xilai, has admitted to poisoning British businessman Neil Heywood, a court official told reporters Thursday. Gu's butler has reportedly confessed, also. Premeditated murder carries the death penalty in China, but the court official suggested that Gu might be spared, because she feared Heywood would harm her 24-year-old son, Bo Guagua, over a financial dispute.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- 4 strategies for organizing your money, based on your personality
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
Subscribe to the Week