Gu Kailai, the wife of former Chinese Politburo member Bo Xilai, has admitted to poisoning British businessman Neil Heywood, a court official told reporters Thursday. Gu's butler has reportedly confessed, also. Premeditated murder carries the death penalty in China, but the court official suggested that Gu might be spared, because she feared Heywood would harm her 24-year-old son, Bo Guagua, over a financial dispute.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
Subscribe to the Week