Gu Kailai, the wife of former Chinese Politburo member Bo Xilai, has admitted to poisoning British businessman Neil Heywood, a court official told reporters Thursday. Gu's butler has reportedly confessed, also. Premeditated murder carries the death penalty in China, but the court official suggested that Gu might be spared, because she feared Heywood would harm her 24-year-old son, Bo Guagua, over a financial dispute.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Rise of the machines
Subscribe to the Week