Gu Kailai, the wife of former Chinese Politburo member Bo Xilai, has admitted to poisoning British businessman Neil Heywood, a court official told reporters Thursday. Gu's butler has reportedly confessed, also. Premeditated murder carries the death penalty in China, but the court official suggested that Gu might be spared, because she feared Heywood would harm her 24-year-old son, Bo Guagua, over a financial dispute.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week