American Claressa Shields made history today when she beat out Russia's Nadezda Torlopova in the women's middleweight final to take home the first gold medal in the sport, which was added to the Olympics this year. The 17-year-old Shields did a dance on the podium to cap off her rise from the streets of Flint, Mich., to her status as an American boxing star.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Secret Service stretched mission to protect employee, report finds
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make corn dogs
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
Subscribe to the Week