American Claressa Shields made history today when she beat out Russia's Nadezda Torlopova in the women's middleweight final to take home the first gold medal in the sport, which was added to the Olympics this year. The 17-year-old Shields did a dance on the podium to cap off her rise from the streets of Flint, Mich., to her status as an American boxing star.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
- The government is getting into the fact-checking business. Be very, very afraid.
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- How Democrats might goad the GOP into shutting down the government
- A trick for better lunch sandwiches
- In defense of Obama's golfing
- The world is on fire and neither Democrats or Republicans have a clue
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week