merican Claressa Shields made history today when she beat out Russia's Nadezda Torlopova in the women's middleweight final to take home the first gold medal in the sport, which was added to the Olympics this year. The 17-year-old Shields did a dance on the podium to cap off her rise from the streets of Flint, Mich., to her status as an American boxing star.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 10 things you need to know today: April 17, 2014
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
Subscribe to the Week