American Claressa Shields made history today when she beat out Russia's Nadezda Torlopova in the women's middleweight final to take home the first gold medal in the sport, which was added to the Olympics this year. The 17-year-old Shields did a dance on the podium to cap off her rise from the streets of Flint, Mich., to her status as an American boxing star.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 10 things you need to know today: September 21, 2014
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
Subscribe to the Week