American Claressa Shields made history today when she beat out Russia's Nadezda Torlopova in the women's middleweight final to take home the first gold medal in the sport, which was added to the Olympics this year. The 17-year-old Shields did a dance on the podium to cap off her rise from the streets of Flint, Mich., to her status as an American boxing star.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 10 things you need to know today: August 1, 2014
- How to make classic pulled pork
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
Subscribe to the Week