American runner Manteo Mitchell revealed that he finished his leg of the men's 4x400 heat with a broken leg. "As soon as I took the first step past the 200m mark, I felt it break," he said. "But I didn't want to let the three guys or the team down, so I just ran on it." Despite Mitchell's injury, the team still managed to post a qualifying time in the heat.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- Why charity can't solve society's deepest problems
Subscribe to the Week