American runner Manteo Mitchell revealed that he finished his leg of the men's 4x400 heat with a broken leg. "As soon as I took the first step past the 200m mark, I felt it break," he said. "But I didn't want to let the three guys or the team down, so I just ran on it." Despite Mitchell's injury, the team still managed to post a qualifying time in the heat.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- California's epic drought
Subscribe to the Week