American runner Manteo Mitchell revealed that he finished his leg of the men's 4x400 heat with a broken leg. "As soon as I took the first step past the 200m mark, I felt it break," he said. "But I didn't want to let the three guys or the team down, so I just ran on it." Despite Mitchell's injury, the team still managed to post a qualifying time in the heat.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
Subscribe to the Week