American runner Manteo Mitchell revealed that he finished his leg of the men's 4x400 heat with a broken leg. "As soon as I took the first step past the 200m mark, I felt it break," he said. "But I didn't want to let the three guys or the team down, so I just ran on it." Despite Mitchell's injury, the team still managed to post a qualifying time in the heat.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why America needs more billionaires
Subscribe to the Week