The U.S. women's soccer team defeated Japan 2-1 in the finals, making this the third straight Olympics in which the U.S. women's team has won the gold medal. The victory was especially sweet for the Americans, who lost to Japan at the 2011 World Cup. Midfielder Carli Lloyd had a standout game, scoring both goals to bring Team USA to victory.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- This week I learned the moon might be littered with dinosaur fossils, and more
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The conservative battle against ObamaCare won't end with Halbig
- Why scientists can't kill HIV
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- How to make classic pulled pork
Subscribe to the Week