The U.S. women's soccer team defeated Japan 2-1 in the finals, making this the third straight Olympics in which the U.S. women's team has won the gold medal. The victory was especially sweet for the Americans, who lost to Japan at the 2011 World Cup. Midfielder Carli Lloyd had a standout game, scoring both goals to bring Team USA to victory.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 10 things you need to know today: August 22, 2014
- Don't listen to Paul Ryan: The GOP is still the party of makers and takers
- 7 of the scariest spiders in existence
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- What's wrong with Europe’s economy?
Subscribe to the Week