The U.S. women's soccer team defeated Japan 2-1 in the finals, making this the third straight Olympics in which the U.S. women's team has won the gold medal. The victory was especially sweet for the Americans, who lost to Japan at the 2011 World Cup. Midfielder Carli Lloyd had a standout game, scoring both goals to bring Team USA to victory.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- One girl's extraordinarily wild world
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
Subscribe to the Week