The U.S. women's soccer team defeated Japan 2-1 in the finals, making this the third straight Olympics in which the U.S. women's team has won the gold medal. The victory was especially sweet for the Americans, who lost to Japan at the 2011 World Cup. Midfielder Carli Lloyd had a standout game, scoring both goals to bring Team USA to victory.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Obama's politically lethal credibility problem
Subscribe to the Week