Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Last week's question: The drought ravaging more than half the nation has been a boon for companies that paint withered lawns green. We asked you to come up the name of another kind of business that might prosper by exploiting hotter, more extreme weather.
THE WINNER: Guided Walks Across the Mississippi
Jack Faust, Portland, OR
SECOND PLACE: Jerky on the Hoof
Leota Day, Seattle, WA
THIRD PLACE: Hell on Earth: A new vacation spa
Larry Horowitz, Redondo Beach, CA
Go (Out) Green: Solar-powered Crematorium
Deb Morgan, Fair Oaks Ranch, TX
The Rain Dance Academy
Al Stoffel, San Diego, CA
Bikinis for the Board Room
Robyn R. Cole, Bethany, WV
Door-to-Door Ice Cubes Down Your Pants
Angela James, Westminster, MD
Instant Water! Just add…uh oh.
John Haug, Roeland Park, KS
Sounds Like a Pool Party! CDs of actual pool parties when you don't own a pool.
Kenneth R. Updegrove, Cedaredge, CO
Work at home: Rotisserie Chickens in Your Attic
Paul Binder, Bellevue, WA
Teflon Sprayers: Never stick to your leather couch again!
Brendan Leyden, Lomita, CA
SPF 100 Total Sunblock House Painters
Myra Gamburg, Lake Forest Park, WA
Uncle Ted's Popcorn Farm, where you fill your sacks with freshly popped kernels right off the stalks!
Seymour Greenstein, Southfield, MI
Snapples! Snap-on apples for when crops shrivel
Karen Lodes, Lexington, KY
Drowt-B-Gone personalized rainmaking kit
Karl Smith, Richmond, CA
Tim Mathis, Boaz, KY
North Pole Patio Furniture Emporium
John Walsh, Mercer Island, WA
Fastest Sand Dune Ski's and Sand Boards
Bob Peffers, San Antonio, TX
Adopt-a-Glacier: Have a chunk delivered to your door!
Paul Witte, New Hope, PA
Charles & Mary Parry, Catonsville, MD
Very Dry Martinis
Louis Phillips, New York, NY
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The militarization of America’s police
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Are there too many good shows on television?
Subscribe to the Week