Defense lawyers say that James Holmes, who allegedly opened fire on a crowded theater during a midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colo., on July 20, is mentally ill. Holmes' team made the disclosure at a hearing on Thursday in which representatives of news organizations petitioned the judge to unseal private documents relating to the 24-year-old. Holmes stands accused of 24 counts of first-degree murder from the bloody killings that left 12 people dead and 58 others injured. Attorneys are hoping to keep Holmes' files under wraps, contending that their release would make it impossible for their client to receive a fair trial.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How to make classic pulled pork
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- How The Killing survived two cancellations and ended on its own terms
Subscribe to the Week