Defense lawyers say that James Holmes, who allegedly opened fire on a crowded theater during a midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colo., on July 20, is mentally ill. Holmes' team made the disclosure at a hearing on Thursday in which representatives of news organizations petitioned the judge to unseal private documents relating to the 24-year-old. Holmes stands accused of 24 counts of first-degree murder from the bloody killings that left 12 people dead and 58 others injured. Attorneys are hoping to keep Holmes' files under wraps, contending that their release would make it impossible for their client to receive a fair trial.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: September 18, 2014
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week