Defense lawyers say that James Holmes, who allegedly opened fire on a crowded theater during a midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colo., on July 20, is mentally ill. Holmes' team made the disclosure at a hearing on Thursday in which representatives of news organizations petitioned the judge to unseal private documents relating to the 24-year-old. Holmes stands accused of 24 counts of first-degree murder from the bloody killings that left 12 people dead and 58 others injured. Attorneys are hoping to keep Holmes' files under wraps, contending that their release would make it impossible for their client to receive a fair trial.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- How Ferguson made conservatives lose faith in the police
- How the West produces jihadi tourists
- What the 'death of the library' means for the future of books
- Why I give money to homeless people
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
- Girls on Film: 5 things that need to happen before Hollywood will ever truly change
- Hillary Clinton may be a bad campaigner. But she'll probably win anyway.
Subscribe to the Week