Defense lawyers say that James Holmes, who allegedly opened fire on a crowded theater during a midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colo., on July 20, is mentally ill. Holmes' team made the disclosure at a hearing on Thursday in which representatives of news organizations petitioned the judge to unseal private documents relating to the 24-year-old. Holmes stands accused of 24 counts of first-degree murder from the bloody killings that left 12 people dead and 58 others injured. Attorneys are hoping to keep Holmes' files under wraps, contending that their release would make it impossible for their client to receive a fair trial.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: October 24, 2014
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 10 self-sabotaging interview mistakes to avoid
Subscribe to the Week