Defense lawyers say that James Holmes, who allegedly opened fire on a crowded theater during a midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colo., on July 20, is mentally ill. Holmes' team made the disclosure at a hearing on Thursday in which representatives of news organizations petitioned the judge to unseal private documents relating to the 24-year-old. Holmes stands accused of 24 counts of first-degree murder from the bloody killings that left 12 people dead and 58 others injured. Attorneys are hoping to keep Holmes' files under wraps, contending that their release would make it impossible for their client to receive a fair trial.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Secret Service stretched mission to protect employee, report finds
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make corn dogs
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- Why America needs more billionaires
Subscribe to the Week