hile he fell short of the world record he set in June, American Ashton Eaton still claimed the gold in the decathlon Aug. 9. After ten events, spread over two days, Eaton earned a score of 8,869, the eighth-highest in Olympic history. His teammate Trey Hardee finished second, marking the first time the U.S. won two decathlon medals in the same Olympics since 1956.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week