Tech bloggers reported Thursday that Apple retail stores had begun matching iPhone discounts offered by major carriers and retailers, fueling speculation that the company is gearing up for a September launch of the next incarnation of the blockbuster smartphone, the iPhone 5. That could mean buyers can get an iPhone 4S for as little as $150, or an iPhone 4 for $50. Apple CEO Tim Cook says iPhone sales growth has been slowing thanks to all the iPhone 5 rumors, because people are putting off purchases to wait for the "next big thing."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- The stories behind 22 classic album covers
Subscribe to the Week