Tech bloggers reported Thursday that Apple retail stores had begun matching iPhone discounts offered by major carriers and retailers, fueling speculation that the company is gearing up for a September launch of the next incarnation of the blockbuster smartphone, the iPhone 5. That could mean buyers can get an iPhone 4S for as little as $150, or an iPhone 4 for $50. Apple CEO Tim Cook says iPhone sales growth has been slowing thanks to all the iPhone 5 rumors, because people are putting off purchases to wait for the "next big thing."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The week's best photojournalism
- 10 things you need to know today: July 26, 2014
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Your weekly streaming recommendation: Black Death
Subscribe to the Week