Tech bloggers reported Thursday that Apple retail stores had begun matching iPhone discounts offered by major carriers and retailers, fueling speculation that the company is gearing up for a September launch of the next incarnation of the blockbuster smartphone, the iPhone 5. That could mean buyers can get an iPhone 4S for as little as $150, or an iPhone 4 for $50. Apple CEO Tim Cook says iPhone sales growth has been slowing thanks to all the iPhone 5 rumors, because people are putting off purchases to wait for the "next big thing."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Why the government should pay every American child an allowance
Subscribe to the Week