Mere days before the eight-year deadline, the International Olympic Committee officially stripped U.S. cyclist Tyler Hamilton of his 2004 gold medal at the Athens games on doping charges. The revocation was prompted by his recent admission to doping on CBS' 60 minutes. The medal will now go to Russian cyclist Viatcheslav Ekimov; American rider Bobby Julich will be moved up from bronze to silver; and Australian Michael Rogers will be moved up to the podium to earn the bronze.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Pope Francis' American problem
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
Subscribe to the Week