ere days before the eight-year deadline, the International Olympic Committee officially stripped U.S. cyclist Tyler Hamilton of his 2004 gold medal at the Athens games on doping charges. The revocation was prompted by his recent admission to doping on CBS' 60 minutes. The medal will now go to Russian cyclist Viatcheslav Ekimov; American rider Bobby Julich will be moved up from bronze to silver; and Australian Michael Rogers will be moved up to the podium to earn the bronze.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- This energy source could solve all of our problems — so why is no one talking about it?
Subscribe to the Week