Team USA's Tianna Madison, Allyson Felix, Bianca Knight, and Carmelita Jeter won gold in the women's 4x100 relay, shattering East Germany's 1985 world record of 41.37 seconds with a time of 40.82 seconds. The win marked a comeback for Team USA, reclaiming the title for the first time since 1996.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Adrian Peterson and our misguided debate about spanking
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- The American middle class is no longer safe from poverty — and that might be a good thing
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
Subscribe to the Week