After being accused of plagiarism, CNN host and TIME editor-at-large Fareed Zakaria issued a public apology for "striking similarities" between his latest TIME column and an essay by Jill Lepore in the April 23 issue of The New Yorker. Reporters have pointed out "close similarities" in a few of the paragraphs, said Zakaria. "They are right. I made a terrible mistake. It is a serious lapse and one that is entirely my fault. I apologize unreservedly to [Lepore], to my editors at TIME, and to my readers." A TIME spokesperson says they have accepted his apology, but are suspending his column "pending further review." CNN has also suspended Zakaria, and a blog post on CNN.com covering the same issue has been removed.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
Subscribe to the Week