fter being accused of plagiarism, CNN host and TIME editor-at-large Fareed Zakaria issued a public apology for "striking similarities" between his latest TIME column and an essay by Jill Lepore in the April 23 issue of The New Yorker. Reporters have pointed out "close similarities" in a few of the paragraphs, said Zakaria. "They are right. I made a terrible mistake. It is a serious lapse and one that is entirely my fault. I apologize unreservedly to [Lepore], to my editors at TIME, and to my readers." A TIME spokesperson says they have accepted his apology, but are suspending his column "pending further review." CNN has also suspended Zakaria, and a blog post on CNN.com covering the same issue has been removed.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
Subscribe to the Week