After being accused of plagiarism, CNN host and TIME editor-at-large Fareed Zakaria issued a public apology for "striking similarities" between his latest TIME column and an essay by Jill Lepore in the April 23 issue of The New Yorker. Reporters have pointed out "close similarities" in a few of the paragraphs, said Zakaria. "They are right. I made a terrible mistake. It is a serious lapse and one that is entirely my fault. I apologize unreservedly to [Lepore], to my editors at TIME, and to my readers." A TIME spokesperson says they have accepted his apology, but are suspending his column "pending further review." CNN has also suspended Zakaria, and a blog post on CNN.com covering the same issue has been removed.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How I lost all my money
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week