After being accused of plagiarism, CNN host and TIME editor-at-large Fareed Zakaria issued a public apology for "striking similarities" between his latest TIME column and an essay by Jill Lepore in the April 23 issue of The New Yorker. Reporters have pointed out "close similarities" in a few of the paragraphs, said Zakaria. "They are right. I made a terrible mistake. It is a serious lapse and one that is entirely my fault. I apologize unreservedly to [Lepore], to my editors at TIME, and to my readers." A TIME spokesperson says they have accepted his apology, but are suspending his column "pending further review." CNN has also suspended Zakaria, and a blog post on CNN.com covering the same issue has been removed.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- The keys to succeeding with a job recruiter
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
Subscribe to the Week