t 7 a.m. EST Mitt Romney's campaign alerted his supporters via an iPhone app that he has chosen Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) as his running mate, with the candidate later making a formal announcement in Norfolk, Va. By choosing the seven-term congressman — "the intellectual heart of the movement within the Republican Party to slash deficits" — Romney has made a potentially "bold but risky move." Romney's choice signals "a desire to place the nation's looming fiscal challenges at the center of the campaign's final months."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- How Captain America won over China
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
Subscribe to the Week