Two earthquakes of magnitudes 6.4 and 6.3, which struck within 11 minutes of each other in northwest Iran, left 227 people dead and 1,380 injured. Search and rescue operations have ended, and Interior Minister Moustafa Mohammad-Najjar said that "we are now working to ensure survivors' needs in terms of shelter and food." Half of the 600 villages located in the disaster zone were damaged or destroyed.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
Subscribe to the Week