wo earthquakes of magnitudes 6.4 and 6.3, which struck within 11 minutes of each other in northwest Iran, left 227 people dead and 1,380 injured. Search and rescue operations have ended, and Interior Minister Moustafa Mohammad-Najjar said that "we are now working to ensure survivors' needs in terms of shelter and food." Half of the 600 villages located in the disaster zone were damaged or destroyed.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Attack of the invasive species
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Lessons from Lincoln: 5 leadership tips history and science agree on
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
Subscribe to the Week