n Sunday, Egyptian security forces killed seven suspected militants during raids on hideouts in Sinai, the desert peninsula that borders Israel and the Gaza Strip. Tensions in the region have risen sharply after 16 Egyptian soldiers were killed by suspected militants last weekend, when Egypt decided to launch airstrikes in Sinai. Sunday's deaths were the first reported casualties among suspected militants since Egypt began its offensive.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Here are the people who want to take a one way trip to Mars
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
Subscribe to the Week