On Sunday, Egyptian security forces killed seven suspected militants during raids on hideouts in Sinai, the desert peninsula that borders Israel and the Gaza Strip. Tensions in the region have risen sharply after 16 Egyptian soldiers were killed by suspected militants last weekend, when Egypt decided to launch airstrikes in Sinai. Sunday's deaths were the first reported casualties among suspected militants since Egypt began its offensive.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 10 things you need to know today: November 27, 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to deep fry a turkey
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
Subscribe to the Week