On Sunday, Egyptian security forces killed seven suspected militants during raids on hideouts in Sinai, the desert peninsula that borders Israel and the Gaza Strip. Tensions in the region have risen sharply after 16 Egyptian soldiers were killed by suspected militants last weekend, when Egypt decided to launch airstrikes in Sinai. Sunday's deaths were the first reported casualties among suspected militants since Egypt began its offensive.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- 5 deliciously creative oats recipes
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week