On Saturday, First Lady Michelle Obama surprised doctors and nurses at the Medical Center of Aurora in Colorado, where victims of the July 20 shooting at a screening of The Dark Knight Rises were taken to be treated after the massacre. Twelve people were killed and 58 were injured when alleged gunman James Holmes opened fire at the midnight screening. The First Lady thanked medical staff for caring for the victims in a visit that lasted an hour.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week