Police in College Station, Texas, identified Thomas Caffall, 35, as the man who shot a handful of people on Monday, killing two of them, before dying in police custody from wounds sustained in the bloody standoff. Caffall allegedly shot and killed Brazos County Constable Brian Bachmann when the law officer arrived to serve an eviction notice at the house where Caffall was located, a few blocks from Texas A&M University. The confrontation led to a 30-minute shootout with police. A bystander, identified as Chris Northcliff, 43, was also killed in the gun battle, and two officers and a civilian woman, 55, were wounded.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How I lost all my money
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- George W. Bush 'ran the country like a cable network,' and other political insights from Chris Rock
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week