Police in College Station, Texas, identified Thomas Caffall, 35, as the man who shot a handful of people on Monday, killing two of them, before dying in police custody from wounds sustained in the bloody standoff. Caffall allegedly shot and killed Brazos County Constable Brian Bachmann when the law officer arrived to serve an eviction notice at the house where Caffall was located, a few blocks from Texas A&M University. The confrontation led to a 30-minute shootout with police. A bystander, identified as Chris Northcliff, 43, was also killed in the gun battle, and two officers and a civilian woman, 55, were wounded.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
Subscribe to the Week