Police in College Station, Texas, identified Thomas Caffall, 35, as the man who shot a handful of people on Monday, killing two of them, before dying in police custody from wounds sustained in the bloody standoff. Caffall allegedly shot and killed Brazos County Constable Brian Bachmann when the law officer arrived to serve an eviction notice at the house where Caffall was located, a few blocks from Texas A&M University. The confrontation led to a 30-minute shootout with police. A bystander, identified as Chris Northcliff, 43, was also killed in the gun battle, and two officers and a civilian woman, 55, were wounded.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why isn't 'Arkansas' pronounced like 'Kansas'?
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- Internet piracy isn't killing Hollywood
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- Is the Christian music industry liberalizing on gay marriage?
- This 1,600-year-old Viking war game is still awesome
- Congress' craven approach toward the war on ISIS
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
Subscribe to the Week