GOOD DAY FOR:
Cats are increasingly being used in fashion modeling, with the most photogenic felines earning up to $20,000 a year. [BuzzFeed]
Justifying your use of slang
Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary adds slang words like "F-bomb," "sexting," and "man cave" to its official listings. [The Daily What]
Keeping everything in writing
A group of Somali pirates sends out (somewhat incoherent) form letters to the owners of every ship it hijacks. [HyperVocal]
BAD DAY FOR:
Trusting your fellow man
Thieves drive off with a New Yorker's Maserati after he obliges their request to pose for photographs inside his car. [Gothamist]
A Mountain Dew marketing campaign crowd-sources the name for its new apple-flavored soft drink, and the internet coughs up hopeless names like "Diabeetus" and "Gushing Granny." [Geekosystem]
A hearse driver dies of natural causes while transporting a body to a funeral. [Newser]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: August 13, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
Subscribe to the Week