OOD DAY FOR:
Cats are increasingly being used in fashion modeling, with the most photogenic felines earning up to $20,000 a year. [BuzzFeed]
Justifying your use of slang
Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary adds slang words like "F-bomb," "sexting," and "man cave" to its official listings. [The Daily What]
Keeping everything in writing
A group of Somali pirates sends out (somewhat incoherent) form letters to the owners of every ship it hijacks. [HyperVocal]
BAD DAY FOR:
Trusting your fellow man
Thieves drive off with a New Yorker's Maserati after he obliges their request to pose for photographs inside his car. [Gothamist]
A Mountain Dew marketing campaign crowd-sources the name for its new apple-flavored soft drink, and the internet coughs up hopeless names like "Diabeetus" and "Gushing Granny." [Geekosystem]
A hearse driver dies of natural causes while transporting a body to a funeral. [Newser]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: August 13, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- 100 orgasms a day: One woman's agonizing and rare medical disorder
Subscribe to the Week