tandard Chartered agreed to pay $340 million to settle charges from New York financial regulators that the British bank had conspired with Iran's government to launder billions of dollars in violation of U.S. sanctions on Tehran. The bank denied the specific charges, but the settlement includes two years of government monitoring of Standard's New York branches and a permanent internal auditor for its overseas transactions.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
Subscribe to the Week