n Wednesday morning, an unidentified man opened fire on a security guard in the lobby of the Washington D.C. headquarters of Christian lobbying group Family Research Council (FRC). The guard was shot in the arm, and taken to the hospital in stable condition after wrestling the suspect to the ground with the help of bystanders. The alleged shooter was taken into police custody, but very few details have been released about what led to the confrontation. Fox News reports that, according to sources, the alleged shooter "made statements regarding [FRC's] policies," before shooting. The FRC advocates conservative positions on social issues and strongly opposes gay marriage and abortion.
- Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson insulted African-Americans, too
- Batman vs. Superman: Everything we know so far
- The way Hillary can win in 2016
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2013
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- Here's how crazy-long German words are made
- ObamaCare's pajama hipster ad is weak. But the backlash is much worse.
- Was Johannes Gutenberg a 15th-century con man?
- Yes, the NBA's Eastern Conference sucks. No, we shouldn't abolish conferences.
- Will Democrats clean up in 2014 gubernatorial races?
Subscribe to the Week