On Wednesday morning, an unidentified man opened fire on a security guard in the lobby of the Washington D.C. headquarters of Christian lobbying group Family Research Council (FRC). The guard was shot in the arm, and taken to the hospital in stable condition after wrestling the suspect to the ground with the help of bystanders. The alleged shooter was taken into police custody, but very few details have been released about what led to the confrontation. Fox News reports that, according to sources, the alleged shooter "made statements regarding [FRC's] policies," before shooting. The FRC advocates conservative positions on social issues and strongly opposes gay marriage and abortion.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: September 19, 2014
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- Peter Thiel, and the not-so-secret secret of innovative success
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
Subscribe to the Week