On Wednesday morning, an unidentified man opened fire on a security guard in the lobby of the Washington D.C. headquarters of Christian lobbying group Family Research Council (FRC). The guard was shot in the arm, and taken to the hospital in stable condition after wrestling the suspect to the ground with the help of bystanders. The alleged shooter was taken into police custody, but very few details have been released about what led to the confrontation. Fox News reports that, according to sources, the alleged shooter "made statements regarding [FRC's] policies," before shooting. The FRC advocates conservative positions on social issues and strongly opposes gay marriage and abortion.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- 9 negative effects divorce reportedly has on children
Subscribe to the Week