On Wednesday morning, an unidentified man opened fire on a security guard in the lobby of the Washington D.C. headquarters of Christian lobbying group Family Research Council (FRC). The guard was shot in the arm, and taken to the hospital in stable condition after wrestling the suspect to the ground with the help of bystanders. The alleged shooter was taken into police custody, but very few details have been released about what led to the confrontation. Fox News reports that, according to sources, the alleged shooter "made statements regarding [FRC's] policies," before shooting. The FRC advocates conservative positions on social issues and strongly opposes gay marriage and abortion.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- As deadly skin cancer rates keep climbing, surgeon general says to stop tanning and wear sunscreen
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
Subscribe to the Week