n Wednesday morning, an unidentified man opened fire on a security guard in the lobby of the Washington D.C. headquarters of Christian lobbying group Family Research Council (FRC). The guard was shot in the arm, and taken to the hospital in stable condition after wrestling the suspect to the ground with the help of bystanders. The alleged shooter was taken into police custody, but very few details have been released about what led to the confrontation. Fox News reports that, according to sources, the alleged shooter "made statements regarding [FRC's] policies," before shooting. The FRC advocates conservative positions on social issues and strongly opposes gay marriage and abortion.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week