n Wednesday morning, an unidentified man opened fire on a security guard in the lobby of the Washington D.C. headquarters of Christian lobbying group Family Research Council (FRC). The guard was shot in the arm, and taken to the hospital in stable condition after wrestling the suspect to the ground with the help of bystanders. The alleged shooter was taken into police custody, but very few details have been released about what led to the confrontation. Fox News reports that, according to sources, the alleged shooter "made statements regarding [FRC's] policies," before shooting. The FRC advocates conservative positions on social issues and strongly opposes gay marriage and abortion.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
Subscribe to the Week