San Francisco Giants outfielder Melky Cabrera has been suspended without pay for 50 games after testing positive for testosterone, which Major League Baseball considers an illegal performance-enhancing substance. The Giants only have 45 games left to play in the regular season. Cabrera is slated to become a free agent at the end of this season, so his prospects for a bigger contract could be in jeopardy.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- What big data can tell us about the things we eat
Subscribe to the Week