OOD DAY FOR:
Feeling like a hobbit
The workshop that manufactured many props for the Lord of the Rings films releases a gold-plated tungsten carbide ring like the one in the film, priced at $99. [Death & Taxes]
A royal rescue
Prince William rescues a 16-year-old girl stranded off the Welsh coast while on a mission as a RAF search-and-rescue helicopter pilot. [Newser]
BAD DAY FOR:
The Hunger Games series surpasses the Harry Potter series as the top seller on Amazon. [The New York Times]
The rest of Paul Ryan
The guitarist of Rage Against the Machine, one of Ryan's favorite bands, pens a brutal op-ed about him in Rolling Stone. [The Daily What]
About 2.3 million toilets featuring the Flushmate III flushing system are recalled due to spontaneous explosions. [The Stir]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: August 16, 2012
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- Was the sign-language interpreter at the Mandela memorial faking it?
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- The last racial taboo
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- How the Great Recession has changed the way we shop — even during the holidays
Subscribe to the Week