GOOD DAY FOR:
Feeling like a hobbit
The workshop that manufactured many props for the Lord of the Rings films releases a gold-plated tungsten carbide ring like the one in the film, priced at $99. [Death & Taxes]
A royal rescue
Prince William rescues a 16-year-old girl stranded off the Welsh coast while on a mission as a RAF search-and-rescue helicopter pilot. [Newser]
BAD DAY FOR:
The Hunger Games series surpasses the Harry Potter series as the top seller on Amazon. [The New York Times]
The rest of Paul Ryan
The guitarist of Rage Against the Machine, one of Ryan's favorite bands, pens a brutal op-ed about him in Rolling Stone. [The Daily What]
About 2.3 million toilets featuring the Flushmate III flushing system are recalled due to spontaneous explosions. [The Stir]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: August 16, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- Why America needs more billionaires
Subscribe to the Week