GOOD DAY FOR:
Feeling like a hobbit
The workshop that manufactured many props for the Lord of the Rings films releases a gold-plated tungsten carbide ring like the one in the film, priced at $99. [Death & Taxes]
A royal rescue
Prince William rescues a 16-year-old girl stranded off the Welsh coast while on a mission as a RAF search-and-rescue helicopter pilot. [Newser]
BAD DAY FOR:
The Hunger Games series surpasses the Harry Potter series as the top seller on Amazon. [The New York Times]
The rest of Paul Ryan
The guitarist of Rage Against the Machine, one of Ryan's favorite bands, pens a brutal op-ed about him in Rolling Stone. [The Daily What]
About 2.3 million toilets featuring the Flushmate III flushing system are recalled due to spontaneous explosions. [The Stir]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: August 16, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
Subscribe to the Week