OOD DAY FOR:
Feeling like a hobbit
The workshop that manufactured many props for the Lord of the Rings films releases a gold-plated tungsten carbide ring like the one in the film, priced at $99. [Death & Taxes]
A royal rescue
Prince William rescues a 16-year-old girl stranded off the Welsh coast while on a mission as a RAF search-and-rescue helicopter pilot. [Newser]
BAD DAY FOR:
The Hunger Games series surpasses the Harry Potter series as the top seller on Amazon. [The New York Times]
The rest of Paul Ryan
The guitarist of Rage Against the Machine, one of Ryan's favorite bands, pens a brutal op-ed about him in Rolling Stone. [The Daily What]
About 2.3 million toilets featuring the Flushmate III flushing system are recalled due to spontaneous explosions. [The Stir]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: August 16, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The contentious policy at the heart of Cliven Bundy's armed standoff with the government
- The Warren Buffett formula: How you can get smarter
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- Today in history: The birth of the federal income tax
Subscribe to the Week