fter a spike in oil and gas prices since June, the White House is considering "dusting off old plans" to release part of the U.S. strategic oil reserves. The U.S. and other Group of Eight countries were considering such a plan in the spring to keep rising oil prices from deepening global economic problems and undermining the effectiveness of new sanctions on Iran's oil industry, but dropped the idea when prices dropped. "The logic behind a potential release in the spring is at least if not... more true today," the source said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
Subscribe to the Week