fter a spike in oil and gas prices since June, the White House is considering "dusting off old plans" to release part of the U.S. strategic oil reserves. The U.S. and other Group of Eight countries were considering such a plan in the spring to keep rising oil prices from deepening global economic problems and undermining the effectiveness of new sanctions on Iran's oil industry, but dropped the idea when prices dropped. "The logic behind a potential release in the spring is at least if not... more true today," the source said.
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- The secrets of happy families
- Americans are wealthier than ever*
- Is the rent really too damn high?
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- Antarctica recently experienced the coldest day in recorded history
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The science of making a guitar sound like a human voice
- President Obama snapped a selfie during Nelson Mandela's memorial service
- Why you shouldn't expect a Tea Party primary wave in 2014
Subscribe to the Week