yrian President Bashar al-Assad performed Eid prayers at a Damascus mosque on Sunday — his first public appearance since a deadly bombing in the country's capital last month. The footage of Assad praying was shown on state-run television. Assad's power has wilted during a brutal 17-month revolt and civil war, and many experts predict that the leader's days are numbered. In the video, Assad sits quietly during a sermon.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
Subscribe to the Week