yrian President Bashar al-Assad performed Eid prayers at a Damascus mosque on Sunday — his first public appearance since a deadly bombing in the country's capital last month. The footage of Assad praying was shown on state-run television. Assad's power has wilted during a brutal 17-month revolt and civil war, and many experts predict that the leader's days are numbered. In the video, Assad sits quietly during a sermon.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 11, 2014
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
Subscribe to the Week