pple's stock hit a record high of $663.23 a share on Monday, and its market value grew to $622 billion, eclipsing the record of $618.9 billion set by Microsoft in 1999, making the iPhone and iPad maker the most valuable company of all time. "It's a stunning achievement for a company that was a struggling also-ran when Microsoft was setting records in the late 1990s." As recently as 2004, Apple was valued at less than $10 billion, and at $100 billion three years ago.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- 10 things you need to know today: April 20, 2014
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- The ugly economics of chicken
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week