The eccentric hip-hop artist Nicki Minaj is reportedly joining Mariah Carey at the American Idol judges table for the show's 12th season. US Weekly was the first to report the 29-year-old's new role, with one source saying she's "100 percent confirmed." For now, however, reps for both the Fox network and the singer have not commented on the speculation. The news would end a month-long search for a new judge after Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez left the judging panel in July. Mariah Carey has already filled one of those vacant spots, thanks to a reported $18 million contract. Minaj performed on Idol during season 11, among other appearances, and has had seven singles in the Billboard Hot 100.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Rise of the machines
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- It's time to kill school picture day
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week