The eccentric hip-hop artist Nicki Minaj is reportedly joining Mariah Carey at the American Idol judges table for the show's 12th season. US Weekly was the first to report the 29-year-old's new role, with one source saying she's "100 percent confirmed." For now, however, reps for both the Fox network and the singer have not commented on the speculation. The news would end a month-long search for a new judge after Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez left the judging panel in July. Mariah Carey has already filled one of those vacant spots, thanks to a reported $18 million contract. Minaj performed on Idol during season 11, among other appearances, and has had seven singles in the Billboard Hot 100.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
- How a drafting error could doom Obama's carbon regulations
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
Subscribe to the Week