The eccentric hip-hop artist Nicki Minaj is reportedly joining Mariah Carey at the American Idol judges table for the show's 12th season. US Weekly was the first to report the 29-year-old's new role, with one source saying she's "100 percent confirmed." For now, however, reps for both the Fox network and the singer have not commented on the speculation. The news would end a month-long search for a new judge after Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez left the judging panel in July. Mariah Carey has already filled one of those vacant spots, thanks to a reported $18 million contract. Minaj performed on Idol during season 11, among other appearances, and has had seven singles in the Billboard Hot 100.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- Today in history: Lincoln reveals the real goal of the Civil War
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
Subscribe to the Week