The eccentric hip-hop artist Nicki Minaj is reportedly joining Mariah Carey at the American Idol judges table for the show's 12th season. US Weekly was the first to report the 29-year-old's new role, with one source saying she's "100 percent confirmed." For now, however, reps for both the Fox network and the singer have not commented on the speculation. The news would end a month-long search for a new judge after Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez left the judging panel in July. Mariah Carey has already filled one of those vacant spots, thanks to a reported $18 million contract. Minaj performed on Idol during season 11, among other appearances, and has had seven singles in the Billboard Hot 100.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
Subscribe to the Week