he eccentric hip-hop artist Nicki Minaj is reportedly joining Mariah Carey at the American Idol judges table for the show's 12th season. US Weekly was the first to report the 29-year-old's new role, with one source saying she's "100 percent confirmed." For now, however, reps for both the Fox network and the singer have not commented on the speculation. The news would end a month-long search for a new judge after Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez left the judging panel in July. Mariah Carey has already filled one of those vacant spots, thanks to a reported $18 million contract. Minaj performed on Idol during season 11, among other appearances, and has had seven singles in the Billboard Hot 100.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
Subscribe to the Week