GOOD DAY FOR:
A new study finds that college students who binge drink are generally happier with their social lives than those who drink less. No word on whether they're happier with their grades. [LiveScience]
The controversially exclusive Augusta National Golf Club welcomes female members for the first time in its 80-year history. [BuzzFeed]
A 14-year-old girl becomes the youngest person ever to swim across Lake Ontario — and raises $90,000 in the process. [GlobalPost]
BAD DAY FOR:
In the wake of her cheating scandal, Twilight star Kristen Stewart drops out of the remaining press events slated to promote the franchise's final film, Breaking Dawn Part II. Her ex-beau/co-star Robert Pattinson follows suit. [The Frisky]
Air France crew members ask passengers to pony up some extra cash for fuel during an emergency stop in Syria. [Consumerist]
A Vancouver man is arrested after he allegedly steals a gun and films himself driving around a neighborhood shooting it. [Death & Taxes]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: August 17, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to make corn dogs
Subscribe to the Week