OOD DAY FOR:
A new study finds that college students who binge drink are generally happier with their social lives than those who drink less. No word on whether they're happier with their grades. [LiveScience]
The controversially exclusive Augusta National Golf Club welcomes female members for the first time in its 80-year history. [BuzzFeed]
A 14-year-old girl becomes the youngest person ever to swim across Lake Ontario — and raises $90,000 in the process. [GlobalPost]
BAD DAY FOR:
In the wake of her cheating scandal, Twilight star Kristen Stewart drops out of the remaining press events slated to promote the franchise's final film, Breaking Dawn Part II. Her ex-beau/co-star Robert Pattinson follows suit. [The Frisky]
Air France crew members ask passengers to pony up some extra cash for fuel during an emergency stop in Syria. [Consumerist]
A Vancouver man is arrested after he allegedly steals a gun and films himself driving around a neighborhood shooting it. [Death & Taxes]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: August 17, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
Subscribe to the Week