OOD DAY FOR:
A study finds that brushing your teeth regularly may help fend off dementia. [Newser]
Stimulating the economy
In its new quarterly earnings report, Barnes & Noble partially attributes its strong growth figures to booming sales of the erotic trilogy Fifty Shades of Grey. [AP]
A new study finds that some dogs who chase their tails may be suffering from obsessive-compulsive disorder. [Geekosystem]
BAD DAY FOR:
Two passersby in New Jersey rush to help a woman who they believed was defending herself against a robber, only to find out that it was the woman who allegedly robbed the man. [Gawker]
Keeping your syphilis a secret
Two major porn studios suspend production after discovering that a male performer was forging his STD tests and keeping his syphilis infection a secret. [TIME]
Paying homage to Fight Club
Three daycare workers are arrested for running an organized fight ring with their children. [Death & Taxes]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: August 20, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
Subscribe to the Week