GOOD DAY FOR:
Getting to know our national treasures
Beer enthusiasts launch a petition on the White House website asking for the recipe for the official White House Honey Ale. [Death & Taxes]
Photos leak online of a naked Prince Harry engaging in a not particularly regal game of strip billiards in Las Vegas. [HyperVocal]
A comedy site successfully raises hundreds of thousands of dollars to buy a New York property that was inventor Nikola Tesla's last laboratory, with plans to turn it into a museum. [The Daily What]
BAD DAY FOR:
Getting a high-profile "Like"
The "iGrill" app gets so much traffic after winning an endorsement from Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg that its servers crash for two hours. [Business Insider]
A poll finds that two-thirds of Americans can't name a single Supreme Court justice. [Newser]
Arts & crafts
An elderly woman unintentionally destroys a 19th century Spanish fresco when she decides to "restore" the painting herself. [GlobalPost]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: August 21, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to make corn dogs
Subscribe to the Week