resumed Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney will lay the groundwork for an energy policy on Thursday morning in Hobbs, N.M. Romney's goal is for America to achieve energy independence by 2020, by giving states more power to increase the production of oil and natural gas, in addition to revving up offshore oil and gas drilling. The Republican's plan might sway voters in potentially energy-rich states like Virginia, where drilling could bring employment. But the plan could be controversial following the catastrophic 2010 BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, and in places like Florida, where offshore drilling is often seen as disastrous for tourism.
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 6 photos that Facebook controversially banned
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- Is it possible to live forever?
- The logic behind the world's 4 weirdest strategic reserves
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- China's massive pollution problem
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: A tribute in photos and prose
- 11 languages spoken by 11 people or fewer
Subscribe to the Week