Tropical Storm Isaac, which has been picking up steam along the Gulf, is threatening to derail next week's Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla. Isaac's winds clocked in at 45 mph on Wednesday, while meteorologists predicted the storm will become a hurricane by Thursday. Even during a typical summer storm in the area, major roads can be flooded. "Public safety will always trump politics," Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn said. "And so my job, and our job, if we move into that mode, is to make sure we get people out of harm's way. I don't care whether they're anarchists or they're delegates."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week