alifornia Gov. Jerry Brown has declared a state of emergency in three Northern California counties after a wildfire pulverized 64 homes and is threatening to destroy hundreds more. Dubbed the "Ponderosa Fire," the inferno has engulfed more than 24,000 acres. Brown's declaration of emergency in Plumas, Shasta, and Tehema counties looses the purse strings to allocate more funds as thousands of firefighters battle the blaze.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- How Captain America won over China
- What The Americans gets wrong about Russian spies
Subscribe to the Week