t least 47 people are dead in Damascus after the Syrian army launched a brutal attack Wednesday in the country's capital. According to activists, military forces carried out house raids and shot dozens of rebels execution-style as struggling President Bashar al-Assad seeks to maintain his grip on the country 17 months into a bloody civil war. The army has amped up its attacks following the departure of U.N. military observers this week.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- Why Narendra Modi is not a shoo-in to become India's next prime minister
Subscribe to the Week