t least 47 people are dead in Damascus after the Syrian army launched a brutal attack Wednesday in the country's capital. According to activists, military forces carried out house raids and shot dozens of rebels execution-style as struggling President Bashar al-Assad seeks to maintain his grip on the country 17 months into a bloody civil war. The army has amped up its attacks following the departure of U.N. military observers this week.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to flirt, according to science
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- What The Americans gets wrong about Russian spies
- 3 ways elephants and neuroscience can help you make better decisions
Subscribe to the Week