t least 47 people are dead in Damascus after the Syrian army launched a brutal attack Wednesday in the country's capital. According to activists, military forces carried out house raids and shot dozens of rebels execution-style as struggling President Bashar al-Assad seeks to maintain his grip on the country 17 months into a bloody civil war. The army has amped up its attacks following the departure of U.N. military observers this week.
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- Did God have a wife?
- 10 things you need to know today: December 9, 2013
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- Watch SNL delightfully mess with all your childhood Christmas favorites
- The executioners' lament
- Homeland recap: 'Big Man in Tehran'
- 7 strange things found in people's stomachs [Updated]
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
Subscribe to the Week