Why do so many successful politicians have neglectful, alcoholic, or deceased fathers?
Paul Ryan's father died at a young age. But he's in good company, says Barron YoungSmith at Slate. Political leaders often have daddy issues
Rep. Paul Ryan's (R-Wisc.) proposed $32 billion cuts are far short of the $100 billion promised by Rep. John Boehner (R-Ohio) before the November elections.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The science behind Captain America's shield, The Hulk's anger, and more
Subscribe to the Week