An autopsy concluded that Rodney King's death in June was the result of accidental drowning, although alcohol, cocaine, marijuana, and PCP were found his system and were contributing factors. No foul play is suspected and police have closed the investigation into his death. King became a symbol of the nation's continuing racial tension after his 1991 beating by Los Angeles police was caught on camera and subsequently led to a week of deadly riots. King was 47 years old when he died.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- The week's best photojournalism
Subscribe to the Week