An autopsy concluded that Rodney King's death in June was the result of accidental drowning, although alcohol, cocaine, marijuana, and PCP were found his system and were contributing factors. No foul play is suspected and police have closed the investigation into his death. King became a symbol of the nation's continuing racial tension after his 1991 beating by Los Angeles police was caught on camera and subsequently led to a week of deadly riots. King was 47 years old when he died.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- The secret advantages of great penmanship
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
- How to live a long life, according to science
Subscribe to the Week