ormer Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee split from the GOP establishment on Thursday and defended Todd Akin, the Missouri Senate candidate who is taking heat for his comments about "legitimate rape." Huckabee wrote an email to his supporters, in which he accused Republicans of a "carefully orchestrated and systematic attack" on Akin. Huckabee, who has a prime speaking spot on Monday at the Republican National Convention, is the first major GOPer to so explicitly come to Akin's defense. House Speaker John Boehner, Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell, and National Republican Senatorial Committee boss John Cornyn have all suggested that the Missourian reconsider his candidacy. Akin refuses to drop out.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- How to flirt, according to science
- The Warren Buffett formula: How you can get smarter
- Everything you need to know about the Venezuelan protests
Subscribe to the Week