From Thursday evening into Friday morning, 19 people were shot across Chicago, on the south and west sides of the city. Thirteen of those shot were wounded in just a 30-minute period. The shootings peaked between 9:15 p.m. and 9:45 p.m., when eight people, most of them teens, were wounded. Authorities have been battling a startling rush of homicides in the city over the past several months; some city aldermen have complained that "gangs have no fear of the police."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- What big data can tell us about the things we eat
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week