rom Thursday evening into Friday morning, 19 people were shot across Chicago, on the south and west sides of the city. Thirteen of those shot were wounded in just a 30-minute period. The shootings peaked between 9:15 p.m. and 9:45 p.m., when eight people, most of them teens, were wounded. Authorities have been battling a startling rush of homicides in the city over the past several months; some city aldermen have complained that "gangs have no fear of the police."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- The worrying rise of the anti-vaccination movement
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week