rom Thursday evening into Friday morning, 19 people were shot across Chicago, on the south and west sides of the city. Thirteen of those shot were wounded in just a 30-minute period. The shootings peaked between 9:15 p.m. and 9:45 p.m., when eight people, most of them teens, were wounded. Authorities have been battling a startling rush of homicides in the city over the past several months; some city aldermen have complained that "gangs have no fear of the police."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- How the elderly are treated around the world
Subscribe to the Week