From Thursday evening into Friday morning, 19 people were shot across Chicago, on the south and west sides of the city. Thirteen of those shot were wounded in just a 30-minute period. The shootings peaked between 9:15 p.m. and 9:45 p.m., when eight people, most of them teens, were wounded. Authorities have been battling a startling rush of homicides in the city over the past several months; some city aldermen have complained that "gangs have no fear of the police."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week