From Thursday evening into Friday morning, 19 people were shot across Chicago, on the south and west sides of the city. Thirteen of those shot were wounded in just a 30-minute period. The shootings peaked between 9:15 p.m. and 9:45 p.m., when eight people, most of them teens, were wounded. Authorities have been battling a startling rush of homicides in the city over the past several months; some city aldermen have complained that "gangs have no fear of the police."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Four annoying sounds you need to stop making
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- How collaborative innovation led to the experimental serum for Ebola
- 10 things you need to know today: August 23, 2014
- Half-baked genetic research is fueling the latest round of mom bashing
Subscribe to the Week