ebels in Syria say they have shot down a government helicopter over the capital Damascus, as fighting intensifies following the departure of U.N. observers. While the crash was confirmed by state television, the broadcaster gave no details as to the cause of the crash. The BBC also showed footage of a burning aircraft falling to the ground. This development comes in the wake of charges that the regime of President Bashar al-Assad massacred hundreds of people in the village of Daraya, where more than 320 bodies, some of them women and children, were found over the weekend. Many of the people found dead in the town that sits southwest of Damascus were killed execution style.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- How Captain America won over China
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
8 Facebook misfires that ruined lives
Subscribe to the Week